Disaster Management & Hospital Preparedness
Participants: Students and Staff of Holy Family Institute of Nursing
Date: 26th March 2021
Venue: Holy Family Institute of Nursing Education
Participants will be able to manage the disasters through proper hospital preparedness thus reducing mortality & morbidity
- Develop concepts related to disasters,
- Comprehend the concept of activation of HDMP (hospital disaster management plan) & nurses’ role in it.
- Develop various competencies CPCR, use of fire extinguishers etc. required to manage disasters.
- Able to prioritize the care through Triage & tagging, early transportation & treatment.
- Able to identify various types of casualties by understanding disaster epidemiology & thus able to activate nursing services accordingly.
- Understand the hospital evacuation planning process & the role of nurses in it.
- Causes of fire in operation theatre & activation of fire safety measures.
- Understand fire & fire safety at the hospital & activation necessary actions accordingly.
- Understand how to conduct a mock drill.
DAY: 26th March 2021
Our college took the initiative to organize fire safety training for all students, teaching staff, non-teaching staff, and security guards. The aim of this training was to make the students and faculties familiar with the emergency evacuation and fire escape drill training.
We invited the fire team.
Then all students gathered on the ground floor near the fire alarm system where the team shown the functions of alarms and given information related to fire alarm activation devices like smoke detectors, and heat detectors, manual fire alarm activation devices such as manual call points or pull stations.
The team discussed an example situation and put the students through an imaginary drill wherein he made them analyze the real-time precautions and remedial actions they should take to come out of the situation safely. The team explained about the emergency evacuation and fire escape drill training.
Team given demonstration on the smoke detector which activated the alarm system.
The team explained if the fire alarm sounds and the strobes flash then evacuate the area immediately and proceed via the stairs to the ground floor exits.
Then we walked to the alarm pull station. The team explained if we smell smoke or see fire, activate the nearest alarm pull station and get everyone out of the area.
Afterward, we all gathered on the ground where the team demonstrated fire extinguishers using techniques ignited by lighting fire in a fire Tray and they also showed how to use ABC dry chemical powder.
The team illustrated the significant measures while using extinguishers like when using a dry chemical extinguisher on a flammable liquid fire, stay back a minimum of 10 feet from the fire.
Start at the leading edge of the fire and use a side-to-side sweeping motion, at the base of the fire, to extinguish the fire.
Remonstration with extinguisher done by students, staff, and security guard.
The next demonstration was done by the team with a firefighting water hose system to put off the fire.
Students, staff, and security guards also practiced with a firefighting water hose to learn to extinguish the fire.