The World Health Assembly, the governing body of the World Health Organization (WHO), designated 2020 as the Year of the Nurse and the Midwife to advance nurses’ and midwives’ vital position in transforming healthcare around the world. It also is in honor of the 200th anniversary of Florence Nightingale’s birth.
Nurses and midwives play a vital role in providing health services. These are the people who devote their lives to caring for mothers and children; giving lifesaving immunizations and health advice; looking after older people and generally meeting everyday essential health needs. They are often, the first and only point of care in their communities. The world needs 9 million more nurses and midwives if it is to achieve universal health coverage by 2030.
Nurses and midwives are essential to the achievement for universal health coverage. The Nursing now campaign and as per State of the World’s Nursing report nurses and midwives constitute more than 50% of the health workforce in many countries, and also more than 50% of the shortfall in the global health workforce to 2030. Strengthening nursing will have the additional benefits of promoting gender equity (SDG5), contributing to economic development (SDG8) and supporting other Sustainable Development Goals.
The Trained Nurses Association of India , Maharashtra State branch celebrated the inauguration of Year of Nurse and Midwife 2020. From 1st January 2020 to 7th January 2020, 18 Nursing Institutes and hospitals organised Inaugural program by Lamp lighting, Taking Oath, Unfolding of the theme – Year of Nurse and Midwife 2020 which was followed by Candle March and release of Helium balloons with messages.
List of Institute participated;
- Dr RN Cooper Municipal Hospital and School of Nursing, Mumbai
- School of Nursing LTMG Hospital, Soon, Mumbai
- Nursing College , General Hospital Chandrapur
- Shree Dhaneshwari Nursing College , Aurangabad
- School of Nursing Baghwati Hospital Mumbai
- Gokhale Education Society SDMSG, INTR Nursing College Nashik
- Dr. D Y Patil college of Nursing and INE pimpri Pune
- School of Nursing GT Hospital Mumbai
- SAU Minatai Thakre Institute of Nursing Education,TMC Thane
- School of Nursing, Dayanand Hospital, Talasari
- Bel Air College of Nursing , Panchgani
- TNAI Pune city Branch at Sasoon Hospital Pune
- Tata Memorial Hospital Parel Mumbai
- B Y L Nair Hospital School of Nursing Mumbai
- School of Nursing MGM hospital Parel
- Seva Mandal Education Society College of Nursing Matunga, Mumbai
- Shushrusha Institute of Nursing , Daund
- Civil Hospital Thane.